Welcome To The Grand Aleutian Hotel
An outpost for American forces during World War II, the Margaret Bay site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1985. In May of 1993, it made history of another sort when its new landmark hotel - the first of its kind in the Aleutian Archipelago - opened its doors to adventure-seeking travelers.
The Grand Aleutian was the brainchild of former UniSea, Inc. President Dick Pace. His vision evolved into a striking red-roofed, three-story reality built through the combined efforts and cooperative spirit of the architect, contractors, and Unalaska community.
It was a bold step to build a 112-room hotel “in the bush,” and the Grand Aleutian’s exterior makes a bold statement. Sympathetic to the native architecture, the hotel’s driftwood-hued wood siding meshes with the local landscape. The contrasting roof echoes the peaks of the Aleutian range; the roof’s dormers give the hotel its inviting lodge appearance.
The UniSea Inn was built in the late 1970’s on a site that was commissioned in 1942 as the Iliuliuk Submarine Base. The base was part of the World War II build-up that took place during the Aleutian Campaign. The first submarines assigned to the base were S-Boats and later fleet subs.